General & Financial
How do I apply?
We want to make the application process as easy as possible for everyone.
If you are a returning member of NSSO before then you do not need to re-audition. We do however ask that you follow this process to secure your place:
- Submit your completed application form
- We will confirm in writing if a place is available and invite you to pay a deposit of £150
- Once your deposit is received, and if you are have applied to play in a different orchestra from your last course, we will send you details of how to submit your video recording
- Where applicable, we will confirm your place in the orchestra of your choosing within two weeks of the video submission and will then invite you to pay the balance of your course fees. Once the balance of your course fees is paid, your place is fully confirmed
If you are new to NSSO, we ask that you follow this process:
- Submit your completed application form
- We will confirm in writing if a place is available, subject to audition, and invite you to pay a deposit of £150
- Once your deposit is received we will send you details of how to submit your video audition
- We will confirm the results of your audition within two weeks of the submission and will invite you to pay the balance of your course fees. Once the balance of your course fees is paid, your place is fully confirmed
What happens once I have submitted my online application form?
You will receive an email confirming a place is reserved for you pending the payment of your deposit and, where applicable, the outcome of your audition.
What is the timeline for applications?
- Applications are open now and the deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2023.
When is the final payment due?
All payments are due in full by 1st March 2023.
How do I make payments to NSSO?
All payments must be paid via Flywire. We will send you links via email for you to complete your payments when they are due.
What if I can’t afford the full course fee?
- If you require financial assistance you must fill out a bursary application by 18th December.
- We can only accept bursary applications from families with a joint income of less than £40,000. Please do not apply if you earn more than this as we have limited funds available to help those in need.
- Bursary applicants will be informed by mid January whether their application has been successful
- To apply for a bursary please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
When will I hear about my audition date?
All auditions are to be videoed and submitted as per our auditions page.
Do I need to re audition if I’ve already been on an NSSO course?
No but you will need to submit a short recording of yourself playing recently if you are applying to move up into a new orchestra.
What do I need to prepare for my audition?
Further information is available on our auditions page.
When will I find out if I have been successful?
We aim to let you know within two weeks of your application being submitted (or youraudition being submitted, where applicable).
Is my deposit refundable if I don’t pass the audition?
Yes, your deposit is refundable if you are not offered a place on a NSSO course
If I pass my audition but decide not to attend do I get my deposit money back?
No, if we have offered you a place but you decide not to take this up then your deposit is not refundable.
What instruments can apply?
All orchestral instruments can apply for the orchestras except piano.
How much are the course fees?
Philharmonic / Sinfonia / Academy Residential …………………£850.00
Philharmonic / Sinfonia / Academy Non-Residential …………………£650.00
Where are we?
Malvern College has been the permanent home for NSSO for over a decade and is one of England’s great independent schools, nestled on the slopes of the Malvern Hills. The magnificent campus has a rich and distinguished history from buildings dating from the 1860s to state of the art new buildings such as the fully equipped new theatre to the first-class sports complex, which boasts a 25 metre swimming pool and modern gym facilities. Spread over a spacious 250 acres, accommodation in traditional boarding houses, delicious onsite catering and with excellent rehearsal and performance spaces the children will experience a unique, inspiring week to remember.
Who are the faculty?
Our wonderful faculty consists of world class orchestral tutors and conductors from the UK professional music world to tutor individual sections and full orchestral rehearsals.
When are the courses?
For 2024, the Sinfonia and Academy courses will take place at the same time from 1st-7th April 2024, with the Philharmonic orchestra meeting in the summer, from 7th-13th July. All courses will end with public concerts for family and friends on the afternoon of the last day of the course.